Thursday, March 28, 2013

Going to Camp…


Camp NaNoWriMo that is!

I can’t believe that March is almost over already! I know that February already zipped on by but March usually just drags on while people pray for the winter thaw so they can whip out their new shoes and ditch their winter coats.

I, on the other hand, am still trying to hang onto March.

You see, on April 1, I will be starting another crazy month of writing. I will be participating in Camp NaNoWriMo – the virtual writing camp for National Novel Writer’s Month (no, this is not an April Fool’s Day joke). I will be committing myself (mentally and physically) to write another 50,000 words from April 1-30.

“Are you crazy?!” people asked me.

“Oh, most definitely,” I responded, with a gleam in my eye.

This is my first time writing for Camp NaNo and I’m a little nervous about writing 50K words in April. While I really enjoyed the challenge in November, I haven’t been writing at lightning speed since November 30 so I have forgotten what it was like to write on a 2,000 word a day schedule.

I might change my goal if I find myself slipping a little bit. That’s the beauty of Camp NaNo. You have the freedom to rebel and write whatever you want and set your own word goal during the thirty day period.

I originally intended on having my 2012 NaNo book finished by March 31 so that I could continue writing my first book during Camp NaNo.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that is going to happen in the next few days so now I have to change my plan.

I decided that during the first half of April, I will finish my 2012 NaNo book during Camp NaNo. When that is done, I will work on my first book. I’m definitely not crazy enough to write both books at the same time! I think that would be sheer torture!  J

I’ve actually made some progress with my NaNo book. I’m over 70,000 words in and I’m hoping that Draft 1 will only need about 20,000 more words to finish the story. Then, I can dedicate 30,000 words to my first book.

They say that Camp NaNoWriMo an idyllic writers retreat, smack-dab in the middle of your crazy life. We’ll see about that!   J

Until next time ~

No comments:

Post a Comment