Friday, August 10, 2012

SCBWI - Los Angeles

 WOW! It's hard to believe that a week has gone by since I've attended this wonderful conference. Of course, I meant to blog before I went (got too busy). Then, I meant to blog during the conference but I barely had time to breathe let alone blog during all of the events taking place (Downtime? Who had any downtime there?). So now, I am finally getting the chance to talk about my adventure.

This was my first SCBWI conference ever! I had to fight the California traffic and managed to arrive at the Hyatt at 7:35 - ten minutes before my first scheduled workshop. Aaarrrgghhh! Not only did I have to wait in line to register, I had to figure out where the room was located - all in ten minutes. Not the best way to begin but I did make it - only five minutes late.  :)  I learned a lot from Jolie and had the wonderful opportunity to meet Sherri (only I wouldn't see her again until Saturday night). I also found out that there were 1,234 people at the conference; no wonder why I couldn't find her!


The keynotes were absolutely amazing! I loved, loved, loved Tony DiTerlizzi! He was a standup comedian and rock star author all rolled into one. I also have a new author crush on Ruta Sepetys. Her speech was so moving and emotional, there was not a dry eye around me.

Arthur Levine, Sara Shepard, Patricia MacLachlan, Dan Gutman, Karen Cushman, Bryan Collier, Clare Vanderpool, Deborah Underwood, Deborah Halverson and Gary Schmidt all gave fantastic keynote speeches. Many of them I would love to listen to again!

I will be posting some highlights from the keynote speeches later on so come back again to check out more about these great authors!

Saturday night was the Hippie Hop and Jennifer got her groove on! I love dancing and this poolside party quickly became the place to be. Many people dressed up in their hippie best and the dance party rocked until 10:30 pm. Sherri found me here, of all places, and I also got to meet Katrina and Sheri. We quickly became the Awesome Foursome and danced our butts off until the end.

Sunday morning was difficult for many people after the Hippie Hop. But, we managed to drag our butts out of bed and attend the Agents panel and the Picture Book Panel. Great information was given and I'm glad I went.

Looking back, I am grateful that I had the wonderful opportunity to attend this exciting conference. I departed with so much information that I'm still trying to process all of it; it was very overwhelming! However, I left this conference inspired by so many outstanding authors that I am excited to use their wisdom to work on my piece of writing.

Until next time ~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment